Cheesemans' Ecology Safaris
Monterey Bay Whale Watching
Updated March 26, 2021.
Whale watching season is here in Monterey Bay!
If you are in the area, we invite you to join us on a morning half-day voyage among whales, dolphins, porpoises, seabirds, seals, and otters. No two days are ever the same in the incredibly rich marine environment of Monterey Bay. Humpback whales have migrated into the bay, with recent sightings of them as well a blue whale, pacific white-sided dolphins, northern right whale dolphins, Risso’s dolphins, black-footed albatross, and much more.
Half-day Voyages on Sea Wolf II
We have partnered with Monterey Bay Whale Watch to offer half-day voyages aboard the Sea Wolf II departing from Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey. Ted Cheeseman will be your naturalist aboard, ready to tell you about his PhD research on humpback whales and to discuss the biology, ecology, and conservation of the ecological gem of the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary.
In response to COVID-19, vessel capacity is limited to 35 aboard, half of normal capacity, and we are taking precautions to socially distance and sanitize — see below — so we feel that we can operate responsibly during these crazy times. We will be on the water for three and a half to four hours (9:00am to about 1:00pm). Cost is $71 per person. Please book directly through Monterey Bay Whale Watch online (links below), and if you have any questions, please contact Ted directly. Cancellation Policy: The trip cost will not be charged until 24 hours before the trip, so you can cancel up until then with no penalty.
Note: When calling be sure to ask for the “Cheesemans’ Voyage.’”
- May 14, 2021 guided by marine biologist Ted Cheeseman: BOOK NOW or CALL (831) 375-4658!
- June 6, 2021 guided by marine biologist Ted Cheeseman: BOOK NOW or CALL (831) 375-4658!
- July 11, 2021 guided by marine biologist Ted Cheeseman: CONTACT US!
- August 15, 2021 guided by marine biologist Ted Cheeseman: CONTACT US!
- Future dates to be announced
Prefer a Private Charter Voyage?
If you prefer a private charter voyage for you and up to four others in your immediate circle, we are also partnering with Fast Raft Ocean Safaris for outings from Moss Landing with a maximum of five plus Ted Cheeseman (marine biologist) or Scott Davis (professional photographer) and Captain Kate Spencer as crew and naturalists. The complete charter costs $1,400 for a half day, $2,000 for a full day, depending on availability. For more details and how this operates in light of COVID-19, please contact Ted directly.
COVID-19 precautions taken aboard Sea Wolf II
They are following all CDC guidelines to protect both passengers and crew.
- Sanitizing stations will be placed throughout all of vessels and in the wharf office area
- All passengers, boat crew, and office employees will be required to wear face coverings
- The crew will be wearing gloves when possible
- The crew is required to wash their hands frequently
- Crew temperatures are taken every morning, and do not work if not feeling well or displaying any symptoms of illness
- Loading will be executed by using space marks to allow for social distancing
- Vessel capacity has been limited to 35 to provide social distancing
- Passenger flow on vessels will be guided to avoid crowds
- Passengers must adhere to 6-foot social distancing protocols
- Restrooms and all other touchable surfaces will be sanitized frequently
- Indoor areas will be monitored to limit the amount of people
- The vessel will be cleaned and sanitized between each trip
Please take every precaution, personally, to not join if you may have been exposed to COVID before the voyage and/or are experiencing any symptoms. We will ask you to confirm upon check-in that you are symptom-free. Please note that all travel is at your own risk; neither Cheesemans’ Ecology Safaris nor any of our agents can be held responsible or liable in any way for keeping the shipboard environment 100% exposure-free.