Cheesemans' Ecology Safaris
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Page Updated: May 16, 2022
Coronavirus & Travel
The travel landscape keeps evolving and will be forever changed by the pandemic. We continue to value you as members of our extended family, so your safety, security, and overall experience have, and always will, be our top priority.
We are taking a moment to outline our approach to COVID and travel. Our ultimate goal is to prevent hospitalization or severe illness while on our trips. This means that if you present any COVID-like symptoms, we do not need to immediately evacuate you for treatment. Because of this, we required very early on that all our travelers, leaders, and ship’s crew and staff be fully vaccinated for COVID. “Fully vaccinated” is as defined by the CDC as when you have received all doses in the primary series.
Realizing that recent variants have been highly transmissible, it’s nearly impossible to have an infection-free trip. Considering this, along with many testing requirements still in place to enter countries, we recommend that you:
- Isolate before your trip to help ensure you don’t test positive before you leave and/or on arrival to another country.
- Wear well-fitting masks:
– during your pre-trip isolation time,
– during your flights and transportation while traveling to/from your destination, and
– during your trip as much as possible, especially when indoors with others.
- Wash your hands frequently (especially if touching your face), and disinfect high touch surfaces on your flights. Use refillable hand sanitizer options to eliminate plastic waste.
- Purchase travel insurance that covers you for any COVID-related costs should you test positive before, on arrival, or before returning home. See our Travel Insurance webpage for more information.
- Familiarize yourself with quarantine and isolation procedures for your destination so you have a plan. See our What Happens if I Get COVID document to help you plan ahead.
Following these recommendations will minimize the chance that you will bring or contract from others an illness that may have COVID-like symptoms. For travelers whose home country still requires a negative test to return, this will also decrease the chance you will test positive and thus be required to follow the local jurisdiction and COVID protocols.
We are working hard on keeping you up to date on the constant changes, so you can more easily plan for your destination country’s requirements, as well as entry requirements to the US. However, as we’ve seen, things change with limited notice, so it is ultimately you who must stay up to date on any requirements based on your travel route including, but not limited to, layover locations.
Country Entry Requirements
The following resources can assist you before and during your trip.
- STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) – US Citizens should enroll to get travel updates, which may or may not include COVID-related changes.
- US Embassy for your destination country and your flight route – US Citizens should check these periodically as their trip approaches for entry requirements, insurance requirements, and specific COVID vaccination requirements.
- Sherpa and Airheart are tools that can help you navigate the travel requirements by destination, but always verify this!
- Airline checklists – Go through the travel checklist most airlines provide to make sure you have met all your travel requirements and download their app to get updates and important messages. Verify this when you check in for your flight.
Check airline and airport websites, or Google places around you for where to get your COVID test before you depart for your trip, if necessary.
If tests are required on arrival, usually the receiving country administers them, and they may or may not charge you for the test.
See the CDC requirements for you to return to the US or see your local authority’s requirements to return to your home country.
We want you to be informed and prepared for anything before, during, and after your trip so we ask for your cooperation to minimize the spread of COVID while we remain able and excited to share the world’s wonders with you!
Gina, Elizabeth, Adam, Lauren, and Patti
The Cheesemans’ Ecology Safaris Team