Kirindy Forest and Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park
September 10 to 19, 2022
Experience the unique species that reside within the beautiful Kirindy Forest, including endemics such as Madagascar’s largest predator, the fossa, the world’s smallest primate, Madame Berthe’s mouse lemur, and an abundance of endemic birds. Wind your way to Bekopaka and visit the Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park, also known as the “forest of limestone.” This UNESCO World Heritage Site will enchant you with its dark, jagged rock formations that are contrasted by Decken’s white sifakas wandering about. Explore the nearby mangrove forests for a chance to see the abundant and unique wildlife it beholds. From there, travel west to the world-famous Avenue of the Baobabs and lose yourself in this spectacular scenery.
- Experience the abundant wildlife of the Kirindy Forest which boasts one of the greatest densities of primates in the world.
- Visit Little Tsingy and Great Tsingy, two world-renowned remarkable geological phenomena of exceptional beauty.
- Marvel at the unique landscape as you navigate through the Avenue of the Baobabs.
- This is a pre-trip extension to our Madagascar trip from September 17 to October 10, 2022.
Itinerary Updated: December 2021
|Sep 10–11||Travel to Antananarivo, Madagascar.|
|Sep 12||Arrive in Antananarivo (Tana) and join an optional afternoon visit to Lac Alarobia.||Relais des Plateaux, Antananarivo||D|
|Sep 13–14||Fly to Morondava and head to Kirindy for a full day of wildlife exploration.||Relais du Kirindy, Morondava||B,L,D|
|Sep 15||Drive north and take a ferry to Bekopaka.||L’Olympe du Bemaraha, Bekopaga||B,L,D|
|Sep 16–17||Visit the famous Little Tsingy and Great Tsingy. Explore the surrounding mangrove forests for this region’s unique wildlife.||L’Olympe du Bemaraha, Bekopaga||B,L,D|
|Sep 18||Continue to Morondava and spend the day navigating the Avenue of the Baobabs.||Palissandre Côte Ouest, Morondava||B,L,D|
|Sep 19||Fly to Antananarivo to continue on our Madagascar trip.||B,L|
A glimpse into our journey
Arrive in Antananarivo (Tana)
Arrive in Antananarivo (also known as Tana) either in the afternoon or evening today. If you arrive early enough in the afternoon, join an optional visit to Lac Alarobia for birding.
Kirindy National Park
Fly to Morondova Airport (MOQ) and then head north to explore the Kirindy Forest. You will be immersed in one of our planet’s best biodiversity hotspots. Join both nighttime and daytime walks to explore the surroundings for unique wildlife including eight lemur species, 50 reptile species, 15 amphibian species, 90 butterfly species, and over 50 bird species surrounded by beautiful flora.
Scenic drive to Bekopaka
You’ll have a scenic drive north that allows time for plenty of photo op stops from Kirindy to the Mahajanga Province. You will then take a ferry ride to reach Bekopaka.
Visit the Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park
Spend the next two days exploring the Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its unique geography and well-preserved mangrove forest. As you soak in the spectacular geological formations, keep an eye out for wandering Decken's sifaka that contrast beautifully with the dark razor-sharp limestone. Other wildlife you can find in the surrounding mangrove forests include red-fronted lemurs, golden bamboo lemurs, mouse lemurs, fossa, Antsingy leaf chameleon, Madagascar big-headed turtles, Madagascar fish eagle, giant coua, Madagascan owls, and Malagasy kestrel.
Scenic drive to the Avenue of the Baobabs
You’ll have a scenic drive south that allows time for plenty of photography stops from Bekopaka to Morondava. En route, you will stop by the awe-inducing Avenue of the Baobabs. You will wander amongst the endangered Grandidier's baobab trees that are an important resource for the local population. From May to August, the baobabs produce beautiful white flowers that emit a scent that is reminiscent of sour watermelon. With a little luck, you might spot a Souimanga sunbird feeding on the flowers or crested couas perched on its branches.
Fly to Antananarivo and continue on our Madagascar trip
Fly from Morondava to Antananarivo to continue on our Madagascar trip.
Experience the unique species that reside within the beautiful Kirindy Forest and Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park.
View Our Gallery
Cost & Payments
Costs (in US$)
|Type||Cost Per Person|
|Extension Cost, double occupancy||$4,000|
Costs are per person, double occupancy, not including airfare (except for round-trip flights between Antananarivo and Morondava), singles extra. See Included and Not Included sections for more details.
If you are a single traveler, we will find a roommate for you, but if we cannot find you a roommate, we may charge you a single supplement. Single rooms cost extra and are subject to availability.
|Payment||Due Date||Amount Per Person|
|Payment is due with your main trip’s final payment; see its trip itinerary for details.|
Cancellations are non-transferrable. No refunds are given after the Final Payment due date.
- All leaders, transport, park entry fees, landing fees, and permits for all activities unless described as optional.
- Round-trip flights between Antananarivo and Morondava.
- Accommodations for the nights of September 12 through September 18.
- Meals from dinner on September 12 through lunch on September 19.
- Transfers between Relais des Plateaux and Antananarivo Airport on September 12 and September 13 and from Palissandre Côte Ouest to Morondava Airport on September 19.
- Bottled drinking water, juice, or soft drinks with lunches and dinners.
- All airfare (except flights listed as included), airport and departure taxes, and excess baggage fees.
- We can arrange divergent airport transfers and extra hotel nights for an extra cost.
- Gratuities – Tipping is always discretionary. However, we suggest budgeting about $20 to $22 per participant per day for September 12 to September 17 with our leaders (about $120 to $132 total per participant).
- Mandatory emergency medical and evacuation insurance. For more information see travel insurance.
- Optional trip cancellation insurance. For more information see travel insurance.
- Items of a personal nature such as laundry, telephone calls, medical costs or hospitalization, room service, alcoholic and other beverages, items not on the regular menu, etc. If you have special dietary needs, please indicate them on your Reservation Form.
Unless listed as included, airfare, is not included in trip costs. Detailed logistical information and the contact information for our recommended flight-ticketing agent are included in the Trip Materials we will send you. Please let us know if you are arriving earlier or staying later as we are happy to assist you with any extra overnights that you might want to arrange.
Flights you (or a travel agent) book: Arrive at Antananarivo, Madagascar (TNR) by September 12. Depart from Antananarivo, Madagascar (TNR) on October 9.
Flights we book for you: The round-trip flights between Antananarivo and Morondara are included in the trip cost.
Read our current Terms and Conditions.