Primates of the Ancient Forest
BorneoMay 3 to 17, 2024
Learn more on the Trip Itinerary page.
Explore an island with pristine ecosystems, home to charismatic and rare wildlife and one of the oldest rainforests in the world. Visit an orangutan sanctuary where these charming gentle giants feed and socialize. Take in breathtaking views atop the rainforest canopy while watching birds weave their way through the foliage. Cruise the Kinabatangan River with pygmy elephants bathing along its riverbanks. Participate in game drives and jungle walks through various habitats to observe orangutans, Bornean gibbons, proboscis monkeys, maroon langurs, and so much more! Discover one of the most species-rich equatorial rainforests on this unique island.
- Reside in spectacular eco-conscious lodgings enveloped in nature reserves.
- Be enamored by the world’s smallest bears as they snack on coconuts at the Bornean Sun Bear Centre.
- Embark on sunrise, dusk, and nocturnal river cruises for diverse wildlife encounters.
- Discover the Gomantong Caves and experience the million-bat exodus.
- Trek numerous rainforest trails in search of rare species and choose to ascend to a majestic waterfall.
- Continue your journey on our Mount Kinabalu extension from May 16 to 19, 2024. Experience the rich tropical lowland, the hill rainforest, and the tropical mountain forest in Kinabalu National Park. As you explore the diverse and beautiful scenery, you will have the opportunity to see a sampling of 326 bird species, including 18 Bornean endemics.
Itinerary Updated: September 2022
Our Trip Leaders
After signing up for a volunteer program in Indonesia in 2008, Charlie was re-routed to Sabah, Borneo where he helped set up community initiative programs for the Abai village. He has resided in Sabah ever since. Charlie guides for the National Geographic Adventure groups in Borneo and helps train nature guides, providing them with first-hand knowledge and experience. He is also an avid photographer, which compliments his passion for wildlife, culture, and travel.
Explore an island with pristine ecosystems, charismatic and rare wildlife, and one of the oldest rainforests in the world.