Spirit of the Himalayas
BhutanOctober 31 to November 24, 2022
Learn more on the Trip Itinerary page.
Discover this most scenic and nature-rich region situated on the edge of the vast Himalayan range. Join the quest for the rare black-necked crane, white-bellied heron, vibrant pheasants, acrobatic langurs, and more. This mountainous gem between India and China engulfs you in Bhutan’s strong culture, not only in its unique architecture and abundant prayer flags, but also in its adoration and respect for nature. Visit dzongs and monasteries, including a hike to the famous cliff-side Tiger’s Nest Monastery. Discover the diverse range of species inhabiting the sub-tropical southern regions. Experience the wonder and beauty of Bhutan through the eyes of our Bhutanese leader, Hishey Tshering.
- Spend almost three weeks in the highlands and lowlands of Bhutan beholding its vibrant bird life and impressive landscapes.
- Explore Bhutan’s largest wetlands in the “Valley of the Cranes,” the wintering ground for endangered black-necked cranes.
- Search for over a dozen intriguing mammals, including the endemic golden langur.
- Watch a Buddhist festival with colorful costumes, brightly painted masks, and traditional folk music.
- Visit the Tiger’s Nest Monastery and other temples to experience Bhutan’s Buddhist culture.
Our Trip Leaders
Hishey Tshering is an avid birder, a football (soccer) fanatic, and a keen conservationist. Prior to establishing the company (Bhutan Birding & Heritage Travels), Hishey worked for the Royal Society for the Protection of Nature (RSPN) as its Communications Officer. During his years at RSPN, he played a pivotal role in the protection of the black-necked cranes. In 1998 he worked with Dr. George Archibald, co-founder of the International Crane Foundation, on the first ever color-banding and radio-collaring of the back-necked cranes to study their migratory route.
Discover this most scenic and nature-rich region situated on the edge of the vast Himalayan range.
View Our Gallery
Cost & Payments
Request Trip Information
"Very happy that you had organized this trip as Bhutan had been on my bucket list, and particularly with Hishey and his team."
Poh Yu Chan, 2019
"There is something really special about being in an unfamiliar place and seeing it through both the eyes of people who love their country and the natural wonders the country has to offer."
Michelle Chambers, 2016
"The Bhutan trip was far beyond our expectations and a deeply moving experience. Hishey was the best guide ever."